Sunday, 29 January 2017

Been making more stainless fasteners. Bought a quantity of 17mm and 14mm stainless hex. When I say a quantity I mean 2mtr of each !!!!!!! Well had to, to get the no carriage deal. It will come in for other projects I'm sure.
Unique to these old Hondas are the hex and thread spec. So, did also buy a 10mm metric fine tap and die set.
Made the 2 top and 4 bottom engine bolts complete with nuts.
Like a lot the sharpness of the edges and left the nut and the bolt head depth on the large side. Reminded me of my grandads home built steam models, so that's a good reason as far as I'm concerned.


Almost too sexy for my bike......almost!

Tuesday, 24 January 2017

The excitement is immense !!!! Never in the history of mankind has so much love and attention gone into a pair of mudguard stays. Here at Oilyracer blogspot we respect old sh*t and these 50 year old Japanese pressings are no exception......so, let's get loved up and give them a reet grand fettling..
The screws holding the stays to the aluminium guard were obviously non original and the fact that they resembled fixings that may hold roofing sheet to a barn meant that their life would be terminated....IMMEDIATELY....Grinderman....do your worst.
The holes that remained were not only embarassingly large but nothing like symmetrical.
Solution ? Fill with weld and re-drill ? Hey, I'm happy with that, well I would be wouldn't I because l'm doing it.


Resting on a bit of copper helped hold the weld pool in place


Grind and filled....


And then textured to match with a de-burring tool in the electric drill


And finally new small holes in the appropriate position...

I really really love my mudguard stays now....😂

Saturday, 21 January 2017

Old sh*t for sure...

Vintafaking ?......the recovery of old sh*t from beyond the scrapyard. Yes indeed. Why ?
1st reason....the lack of folding stuff and 2nd...doesn't matter how far and how often you scan the world if parts are not there then it doesn't matter how big the wodge is in your pocket ya gonna go without.
Haha....but dear readers I just happen to have a rusty relic of a most wanted peice of treasure. Just call me Lucky Old Uncle Albert.
Next job on my extremely long 'To do list' is to make something out of what remains of the front mudguard. Now, it's not an original but...and I'll write that again in big letters....BUT...it is a unique piece of history as far as this bike goes and the 1960s dealer badge is just drop dead lovely jubbly.....(oh, and the stays are real Honda)



Grays of Thrapston. Note the 4 figure phone number..that's yonk's old,.maybe I should ring it and see who answrrs.....the Belgium Honda must have been traded in and resold through this dealer  in the late 60's....gaining the little plaque at the same time.
Oh, by the way, Grays of Thrapston are still trading...Selling amongst other things microcars and Chinese motorcycles....How good is that ? Survivors just like this piece of treasure.

Thursday, 29 December 2016

Today I've been working at height. It's not by choice but a necessity.    Treasure already occupies almost every square inch of the garage floor, expanding on that has been achieved by the use of 6" nails and old rope. Suspending W.I.P. from the roof does increase space available within the same volume but decrease access.
That's why I have step ladders. Today I spent time up them reattaching the freshly painted and plated ignition coils and condensor.



Man, have I got a load of maroon stuff hanging up, or is it hanging down? 
What else can you see?


Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Don't want to get too Geeky about nuts and bolts but thought it would be nice to try get it somewhere near visually correct if possible. Instead of 13mm hex headed bolts the Belgium Honda (and probably other models of the 1960s) has 14mm. ....Stainless ones are available from Phil Denton Engineering but thought it may be neat to try make my own. A 300mm length of hex bar was purchased on eBay and today I had an attempt at making a set of 4 to use on the handlebar clamps.


 Looks like it's going to work out OK.


4 x made.....took me a couple of hours but hey, happy at the lathe with the radio on...
Proper peace and quiet


Now I even surprised myself once I'd given them a good buffing on the polishing mop.
Do like the sharpness of the edges and have left the head deep too, 
thought it looked 'old skool' Feeling confident I can try some of the more complicated fixings now.